From the cookware we use, toxic chemicals can be transferred into our food. You may have heard of the harmful effects of PTFE or PFOA (chemicals used for making Teflon). PTFE is used to coat non-stick surfaces (metal pans, which are often aluminum). When manufacturing the products, PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) is used to bond PTFE to the pan making it non-stick.
According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), “The chemical PFOA pollutes over 95% of Americans’ blood, including all 10 newborns surveyed in a study EWG commissioned in 2007. PFOA never breaks down in the environment, so every molecule of it produced since the 1950s or earlier will forever be in our air, water, and bodies. In animals, PFOA causes cancer, birth defects, and other health problems.”
No one time use can cause damage to our body but if we cook every day, it can certainly have an effect. There are many health problems that are potentially linked to these chemicals. Ulcerative colitis, testicular/kidney cancers, low birth weight, and decreased immune response to vaccines are liver malfunctions In animal studies, these chemicals have been found to cause liver toxicity, endocrine/immune problems, and tumors in multiple organ systems.
What To Do?
Replace your non-stick pans with a healthy alternative. I know you may be thinking well what now? Ceramic, glass, and cast iron are considered to be the healthiest. Try to get rid of your Teflon and stainless steel and replace it with a healthier alternative.
- No trace metals or chemicals leach from the cooking surface of our healthy cookware.
- Far-infrared cooking technology: cooks foods from both the inside and outside at the same time.
- Does not retain odors, bacteria or tastes.
- High-temperature cooking: can withstand extreme temperature differences without cracking.
- Versatile: Use on stove-top, in the oven and broiler, even on the barbecue.
- Easy to clean: non-scratch, non-toxic ceramic surface.
Cookware I ♥