The easiest and most natural way to cleanse your face, the oil cleansing method. Not only is non-toxic but it can be used for all skin types. Yes, even acne-prone skin. It has actually been shown to clear up even the worst acne.
If you are skeptical about rubbing oil on your face, you are not alone. Many people feel this will bring about acne, but actually, it is the total opposite. Let me explain why.
What Is Oil Cleansing?
The oil cleansing method is when you use oils to clean your face, balance and properly moisturize the skin. This will work for all skin types and even acne-prone skin. It will detoxify your skin and works even better than over the counter cleansers.
The fact is, oil dissolves oil. This method will cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria and replace the bad oil with healthy oils. The oil cleansing method can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whitehead and other problems caused by acne.
Many over the counter cleansers have toxic chemicals that can cause an imbalanced pH, which leads to unhealthy skin. The oil cleansing method can strengthen your skin and rebalance your pH and natural oils.
How Does This Work?
Like I mentioned before, oil dissolves oil. Massaging the oil in your skin helps loosen the oil and dirt on your skin. You would massage it on your skin for about two minutes, then steam your face with a washcloth.
Steaming your face will help your pores to open so the impurities can be pulled out to the surface of your skin. You would then wipe your face to clean it all off.
What Is Purging?
Unfortunately, for many people, the skin may go through a detox period within the first several days or up to 2 weeks. This is when breakouts and whiteheads increase. This can happen because the dirt that was stuck in the pores is being released. I know at this point it may not feel like the cleansing method is working for you, but it will be worth it after the detox passes.
Oil Cleansing Instructions
Choose Your Oils:
To get started with the oil cleansing method you will need the following ingredients:
1. Castor oil
2. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
(Jojoba oil, Grapeseed oil, Hazelnut Oil or Flaxseed oil can be substituted for Olive Oil)
Create Your Cleanser
Next, you’ll need to choose the best oil ratio for your skin type. The following ratios are a good place to start and can be adjusted as needed.
- Normal Skin: 1 part Castor oil to 1 part olive oil
- Oily and Acne-Prone Skin: 3 parts Castor oil to 1 part olive oil
- Dry Skin: 1 part Castor oil to 3 parts olive oil
Create Your Cleanser
Now it’s time to clean those pores with these simple steps:
1. Start with a dry face.
2. Pour a quarter-sized amount into your palm and rub your hands together.
3. Apply the oil mixture to your skin.
4. Gently massage your skin with your fingertips for two minutes.
5. Wet a washcloth with hot water, and put it on your face letting it cool to room temperature.
6. Remove the washcloth and gently wipe off the oil.
Notes on the Oil Cleansing Method
- It is normal for it to take a week or so for the skin to adjust, and you may even see more oily skin or more breakouts during this time as impurities leave the skin.
- Stay away from using harsh soaps or facial cleansers during this time.
- It will likely take some trial and error to find your perfect ratio.
Have you ever tried oil cleansing? What oils did you use? Share below!